Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Tool Mom's favorites.

When my son was little, we used to love to watch Tim the "Toolman".  Then as I began to amass more and more power tools in the pursuit of the best possible window treatments, he started referring to me as the "Tool Mom" It sounded funny coming out of his 8 year old mouth..."my Mom likes power tools...she's the Tool Mom."
My prize possession was a monster table saw, but now it has been usurped by my Compound Miter Saw. For years I wondered if it was a justifiable expense for my business, and it truly is!

Over the years I have collected many great tools.  Since moving to Florida, I have discovered Harbor Freight Tools.  They have cheap tools, which are generally fine for me, since I am not using them 24/7.  I buy tools online too...for instance my favorite Iron that I used to get at Target,  I now have to buy from Amazon. It is a Black and Decker Digital Advantage Iron.  Lots of steam, lightweight, big water reservoir and a long cord...although my new one has a shorter cord than the last one.  It also takes a beating, the last one lasted 2 years!  And it only  cost me $40.  I know a lot of people like the boiler irons, but I think they are expensive and if they break, getting service seems like a hassle.

    Another favorite of mine is the DuoFast Carpet stapler.  Years ago, I convinced my Mom to buy a used one, and she still has it.  I tried some cheap versions, but they were unreliable and service was impossible.  I use the regular 9/16ths staples for constructing cornices, but they also sell 1/4" staples that I use for upholstering and making valances. I know a lot of workrooms use compressor staplers, but you can't take them to a job site. They are noisy and you have a lot more expense in acquiring them. 
     Are you sensing a theme yet?  I want the best tool for the least money.  I want it to be reliable, able to get the job done and  cheap to replace or easy to fix.
    But I also like light weight.  I am a woman after all, and many tools are made for bigger biceps than I have.   This is the category that my next favorite is in, and I was willing to pay a higher price for it.  It is my Makita Cordless Drill Driver.  It has a lightweight  18 volt lithium ion battery (2 actually). It charges  super fast (15 min.) and the charge seems to last forever.  I have had to  replace one battery after 3 years, because having two is imperative at an installation.  I even like the styling of this drill, but instead of Black and White, I would have liked a color like pink or lavender.  It is a powerful drill,  but I can use it all day without getting tired.  Here was the one case where cheap didn’t work for me, this drill was $200 when I bought it a few years ago.  I would buy it again.
    I have many more favorite tools, but I will leave you with these small power tools for now.  To see what these babies help me  create, go to my website   ellensewnsew.com !!





    No comments:

    Post a Comment